Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Can this be true!?

Why this blog? What is the purpose of these postings? And Catholics don't watch television, so why would they read this blog?

None of those are good questions. Well, I guess only the last one is a bad question, so I'll proceed to answer the others.

First of all, television is great. I make this statement as someone who both owns a tv and watches it frequently, and watches many of its fine programming. From the soccer game on my tv right now to old reruns of the Simpsons. From past greats like Lost, Battlestar Galactica and the Wire, to current faves Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Game of Thrones, I have watched my share of the small screen.

Gaudium et Spes tells us we are not to hide from this world and the advancements it offers, even though our true home lies in heaven. Television has fast grown to be a medium full of the creativity and production values normally reserved for movies. It offers rewarding storylines, evolutionary characters and sharp writing, all in the comfort of your own home.

What the television community lacks, and the Catholic community, is a place that offers a unique perspective on TV, one from the point of view of a faithful Catholic.

I am not here to tell you what to watch or not watch. I am simply offering the opinions of someone who knows about television and who knows about Catholicism.

No comments:

Post a Comment